Classes & Special Interest Groups
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program - This Arthritis Association-sponsored class gives each joint in your body a workout. Using a series of stretches and exercises, this class will help you cope with arthritis.
- Bocce Ball - Played May through October, this classic game, whose modern adaptation most closely resembles bowling, is led by volunteers and is played at Tierra Rejada Park. A fun, quickly learned game.
- Building Better Balance - This class works on improving posture and balance using specialized exercise equipment and yoga techniques.
- Line Dance - Dance your way into better health while learning how to line dance. This volunteer-led class teaches techniques and the latest steps from the Electric Slide to the Texas Waltz in a low impact country line dance class for older adults.
- Strength Training - Build better bones and work your muscles to improve balance, endurance, and strength. Learn these strength building techniques using light weights and exercise equipment.
- Tai Chi - This volunteer-led class directs you through a gentle series of moves, which improves strength, balance, and flexibility.
- Yoga - This class, led by a volunteer from the Yoga Bharati Institute, leads participants through a series of moves that focus on building strength, endurance, and flexibility.
- Bingo - This MSCI-sponsored weekly game is played on Thursdays. For the $7 fee, participants get 10 games and refreshments during the break. Additional sheets may be purchased.
- Budget Scrapbooking - This class teaches how to attractively present mementos and photographs
- Computer Classes - Computer classes are taught by volunteer instructors. Classes are offered on a one-on-one or one-on-two basis. Instructors will help you learn basic PC operations as well as how to navigate the internet. Advance sign-ups are required.
- Computer Labs - Computer-literate older adults are welcome to use the lab during regular lab hours. Lab hours are as follows: Mondays 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Wednesdays 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., and Fridays 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. During lab hours, work station priority is given to computer class enrollees. However, open computers maybe be used by those who are able to work on their own, without instruction.
- Gourd Art - Learn the art of gourd painting and decoration. Acquire the skills and learn the techniques of wood burning, incising designs, and painting on these dried gourds to create memorial art pieces.
- Knitting and Crochet - Join in the fun. Group meets to knit, crochet, socialize, and share techniques and tips, as well as to share lots of laughs. All levels of skill welcome.
- Mah Jongg - This rummy-like game is played with tiles instead of cards and is a volunteer-led program. Learn to play by watching other players play, and then join in.
- Mature Driver Class - This AARP-sponsored, eight-hour driving course is divided into two days and is offered to drivers ages 50 and older. Upon completion of the course, mature drivers may be eligible to receive a discount on their auto insurance premiums. The fee is $12. See newsletter for registration form.
- Pinochle - Group meets weekly to play this fun and challenging card game.
- Poker - Try your luck at the traditional card game of poker. Compete against other players using chips.
- Recorder Classes - Weekly instruction on how to play this easy-to-learn wind instrument. More advanced students participate in local performances.
- Writing for Pleasure - Drop by, senior or not, and join us. Read your story and/or listen to the stories of others. Be creative!