I want to operate a business in the City. Where do I start?

Prior to signing a lease, buying a property, or initiating a use, we strongly recommend that you meet a city planner to verify that your business can be permitted in the location of your choice and go over the permitting process.

A Zone Clearance and Business Registration are required in order to conduct any business from a non- residential location. A Zone Clearance must  also be obtained for new businesses and when an existing business changes locations.  In some cases, a new business may require an Administrative Permit or Conditional Use Permit. 

Often, a new business or a business moving to a new location will need an Occupancy Inspection.  Please contact the Building and Safety Department at (805) 517-6272 for more information.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I view Planning Commission agendas?
2. Do I Need a permit(s) from the Planning Department for my project?
3. What is the Zoning and General Plan designation of my property?
4. What Uses are Allowed on my Property?
5. How can I stay up to date on major projects in the City of Moorpark?
6. I Want to Operate a Business from my Home. Where do I start?
7. What type of fence/wall can I have on my property?
8. Can I build an Accessory Structure, Room Addition, Accessory Dwelling Unit, or Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit?
9. Can you provide me with my property dimensions?
10. I want to operate a business in the City. Where do I start?
11. What are the sign standards for my Building/Business? What steps do I need to take?
12. Can I have a shipping/storage container on my property?
13. What do I need to know about starting a food truck business?
14. What is a Temporary Use Permit (TUP), and do I need one?
15. How can I report illegal construction or business operation?