Hazardous Waste

Hazardous Waste Programs

Picture of a shelf with household hazardous waste on it, including paint, pesticides, bleach, gasoli 

Household Hazardous Waste Events

Improper disposal of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) materials can hurt public health and safety, so the City operates a free HHW Drop-Off Program for all Moorpark residents.  The program provides residents with a free, safe, and convenient way to dispose of their HHW properly.

Items Accepted at HHW Events

You may bring up to 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW per appointment. Accepted items include:

  • Chemicals
  • Gasoline
  • Polishes and Cleaners
  • Antifreeze
  • Fluorescent Light Tubes and CFLs (other disposal options)
  • Mercury Thermometers
  • Sharps/Needles (in approved containers) (other disposal options)
  • Batteries (other disposal options)
  • Motor Oil and Oil Filters (may also be taken to Certified Used Oil Centers without appointment)
  • Motor Oil contaminated with water or other chemicals
  • Paint and Paint Products (may also be taken to paint stores without appointment)
  • Medications/Prescription Pills (may also be taken to Moorpark Police Department without appointment)

The program will not accept explosives, fireworks, ammunition, tires, smoke alarms, medical waste, radioactive waste, gas cylinders, or propane tanks.  If you are not sure if something will be accepted or not, please call the two locations below and ask when making your appointment.  You may also visit the City’s How Do I Dispose Of... page for more disposal options.

Moorpark has contracts with HHW collectors in both Camarillo and Simi Valley.  Moorpark residents may take their HHW to either location at no cost (the City pays the disposal costs for you).

Camarillo LocationAppointments are available the second Friday-Saturday of each month.
Call (805) 987-0717 for appointments.
Click here to register online. 
Simi Valley LocationAppointments are available on the third Saturday of odd-numbered months.
Click here to schedule an appointment. Please note that residents will need to print a copy of the appointment form and present it at drop-off. Containers will not be returned to residents.   

The exact location of the drop-off event will be given when you make an appointment. This ensures that people do not illegally dump HHW at those locations when there is nobody there to collect it. If you live in the unincorporated areas of Moorpark, outside of the City limits, please visit the Ventura County HHW website for disposal options.

Transporting Hazardous Waste

California law prohibits transporting hazardous materials in containers larger than five gallons. It is best to have liquid materials in a sealed, original container. If the possibility of leaking exists, place the container in a larger container, surrounded by absorbent material such as kitty littler. Put the containers and other HHW materials in your car trunk or truck bed, and secure them so they will not tip over.

Do not mix materials. Containers for collecting used oil will be returned on request, although the City offers free new Used Oil Containers to Moorpark residents. Other containers will generally not be returned to you.

Business Waste

Hazardous waste from commercial businesses is handled differently and is not included in the City’s HHW program. Commercial hazardous waste is divided into three categories based on the quantity of hazardous waste generated on-site.

"Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators" are businesses that generate less than 220 pounds or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month. These businesses may dispose of their hazardous waste at Clean Harbors in Camarillo, (805) 987-0217. There will be a fee; the City does not pay for business-generated hazardous waste. Or, you may call the Ventura County Environmental Health Division at (805) 654-2813 for a current list of hazardous waste transporters in Ventura County.

"Small Quantity Generators" are businesses that generate between 220 and 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste per month. "Large Quantity Generators" are businesses that generate more than 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste per month. These two generator classes have stricter state and federal regulations. Small and Large Quantity Generators must make their own arrangements to dispose of their hazardous waste. Call the Ventura County Environmental Health Division at (805) 654-2813 for a current list of hazardous waste transporters.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding the City’s Hazardous Waste programs, please E-mail or call us at (805) 517-6294.